Love broccoli however hate throwing away the stalks! I’ve bought you coated with eight artistic and attractive methods to make use of broccoli stems.
Okay, I’m going to be completely actual with you, I HATE losing meals. Not solely do I really feel horrible as a result of I do know gaining access to good, wholesome meals is a luxurious nevertheless it pains me to toss meals that I paid cash for! At any time when I’m cooking a meal I all the time attempt to be revolutionary in utilizing each a part of the elements I’m cooking with. It’s so vital to attempt to be conscientious of how a lot your leaving as waste, and in an effort to fight that I assumed I’d offer you a few methods to make use of one thing we’ve all been responsible of tossing away: broccoli stems.
It’s straightforward to neglect that broccoli stems are simply as (if no more) vital than the florets. They’re packed full with calcium, iron, and Vitamin A so while you’re throwing these infants away you’re additionally lacking out all of these superior vitamins. Let’s repair that! I all the time really feel so a lot better once I’m in a position to make use of up each a part of what I’m cooking with and I guess you’ll too.
Listed below are a few of my all-time favourite issues to do with broccoli stems or stalks:
Spiralize broccoli stalks to make noodles:
You guys know I like any excuse to make use of my spiralizer. That undoubtedly contains whipping up a batch of broccoli stem noodles. I’ve discovered that broccoli stem noodles are thicker than the standard zucchini noodles that I’m used too, however I truly form of choose the feel they add to a dish. If you wish to strive it out for your self, try my broccoli noodle stir-fry which makes use of the broccoli stems and florets and has an added protein-boost from shrimp!
Make broccoli rice:
You’ve possible tried cauliflower rice earlier than, however have you ever tried broccoli rice? It’s so yummy and straightforward to make! Simply use a vegetable peeler to take away the powerful outer layer of the stalks. Chop into even chunks, about 2 inches lengthy. Place the chunk right into a meals processor and pulse a number of seconds, simply till the items are concerning the dimension of rice.
Mix the stalks up right into a thick and scrumptiousBroccoli Stem Hummus… good for dipping!
Make vegetable broth:
Earlier than you throw away your broccoli stems take into consideration including them in with another greens to make a do-it-yourself veggie broth. They’re additionally the proper addition to broccoli soup! As an alternative of solely utilizing the broccoli florets chop up the broccoli stem and toss it in together with the remainder of your elements.
Add the chopped stems to something for an added texture:
I like including broccoli stems to scrambled eggs, frittatas or casserole-type dishes. The stems will be tossed into absolutely anything and can robotically give no matter you’re cooking a heartier texture.
Add them to soup or stew:
Chopped broccoli stems are an ideal addition to soups and stews. Bonus veggies! Strive utilizing broccoli stems instead of cauliflower in my Mexican Sweet Potato Soup.
Make a salad:
My love for salads has me obsessive about how fairly and scrumptious this Simple Broccoli Stem Salad with Black Pepper Crumbs appears. Can’t wait to strive it!
Roasting is by-far one of the simplest ways to cook dinner veggies, IMO and broccoli stems are tasty roasted too. I’ve been eyeing this Crispy Roasted Broccoli with Tahini Sauce that comes with a lot of the stem into the dish!
And in order for you my straightforward go-to recipe, do this broccoli noodle stir-fry!
This broccoli noodle stir-fry makes use of the whole head of broccoli – stems and florets! Simply spiralize the stalks to create broccoli noodles and use them as a base for this low-calorie meal.
- 1 lb uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons avocado, coconut or olive oil
- 2 medium stalks of broccoli (search for thick, massive stalks)
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced recent ginger
- Four-5 Tablespoons teriyaki sauce (store-bought or use the recipe beneath)
- Non-compulsory: sriracha, for topping
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄Four cup low-sodium tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1⁄2 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon recent ginger, grated or minced
- Make teriyaki sauce: whisk collectively all elements in a small bowl. Measure out Four-5 tablespoons, put aside.
- Make broccoli stem noodles: chop florets from the stems leaving as a lot stalk as attainable. Place stalk/stem(s) on spiralizer and spiralize into noodles. Put aside.
- Add shrimp to massive skillet or wok over medium-high warmth. Sauté shrimp for Four-5 minutes or till pink and now not translucent. Switch to a plate and put aside.
- Discard any leftover liquid within the skillet. Add 2 teaspoons oil to skillet over medium-high warmth. Add bell pepper, garlic, ginger and broccoli noodles to the skillet. Sauté for 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper whereas cooking. Add broccoli florets to the pan and cook dinner for one more Four-5 minutes, till broccoli begins to melt and turns vibrant inexperienced.
- Add shrimp again into the pan, together with the teriyaki sauce and toss to coat. High with sriracha earlier than serving, if utilizing.
- Serving Dimension: 1/2 of recipe
- Energy: 335
- Sugar: 14g
- Fats: 4g
- Saturated Fats: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 41g
- Ldl cholesterol: 330mg
Key phrases: broccoli noodles, broccoli noodle stir-fry
So there ya have it — eight other ways to make use of your broccoli stems! Let me know know which one you’re going to strive first!