Who’s gearing up for the lengthy weekend? I’ve acquired Friday on my thoughts already, however this Memorial Day will probably be a bit totally different for me. As an alternative of having fun with that quintessential unfold of meals by the lake with a beer in hand whereas oldies play within the background, I’ll be serving to my buddy put together for an enormous transfer, attending my Three-year-old daughter’s first dance recital, after which hightailing it to Chicago for a buddy’s marriage ceremony.
As I sit right here in my quiet home, sipping my espresso, and eyeing an extremely massive pile of laundry that must be sorted and packed in T minus Four days, I’m trying to benefit from the calm earlier than the storm and luxuriate in Memorial Day as I do know it slightly bit early. Good factor I’ve the makings for these BBQ Rooster Coleslaw Bowls within the fridge as a result of I absolutely intend to nosh on this bowl of summer time yummies out on the deck this afternoon whereas listening to the Now & Then soundtrack, after all. Why Now & Then? As a result of it’s the chick flick that outlined my pre-teen years with a rattling good soundtrack in addition. In the event you’re a millenial like me who grew up listening to music out of your dad and mom’ period, I do know you possibly can relate to this Now & Then obsession. Severely although, summer time BBQ meals, sunshine, and Stevie Surprise. My afternoon’s shaping as much as be a great one!
As if I haven’t pressured the summery-ness of this dish sufficient, these bowls mix all of your fave summer time BBQ meals: BBQ hen, coleslaw, zesty pickles, and avocado slices. I took the idea of the basic BBQ hen sandwich w/ coleslaw and nixed the bun.
For the hen, in case your grill occurs to be out of fuel and also you don’t know a factor about rectifying that kind of scenario, you possibly can bust out a sauté pan and cook dinner it on the range. However, actually, it’s BBQ hen, so get your grill on in the event you can!
For the coleslaw, I added a heaping cup of this Bacon, Cranberry, Kale Coleslaw. The candy/salty/savory flavors of the slaw pair so nicely with the hen and avocado. In the event you’re extra of a traditionalist, be happy to stay to common coleslaw.
For the additional toppings, I selected pickles for some further tangy taste. And the sliced avocado was my final minute add-in, which ended up giving the bowls an exquisite creamy element. As soon as every thing is assembled, pour just a few further drops of BBQ excessive and blend every thing collectively. It ought to look one thing like this…
Now you already know what to do with the leftover BBQ hen and coleslaw come Tuesday! Or higher but, be like me and get the weekend began early with this simple, wholesome summer-in-a-bowl recipe!
BBQ Rooster and Cole Slaw Bowls
Serves: Four bowls
- Four boneless skinless hen breasts (about 5 ounces every)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon floor pepper
- 1 teaspoon BBQ dry rub seasoning (Optionally available. I used Penzey’s 33rd & Galena mix)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup BBQ sauce
- Four cups Bacon Cranberry Kale Coleslaw
- ½ cup sliced pickles (non-obligatory)
- 1 avocado, sliced (non-obligatory)
- Warmth the oil in a big skillet over medium warmth. As soon as heated, add the hen breasts. Brown on either side for Three-Four minutes.
- Pour the BBQ sauce over the hen and toss the hen within the sauce, guaranteeing all sides are coated. Cowl the pan and cook dinner the hen for one more Three-Four minutes on either side.
- Let the hen relaxation for a couple of minutes then slice into strips.
- Switch 1 cup of cole slaw every of the Four bowls.
- Prime every bowl with a sliced hen breast and 5-6 pickle chips and avocado slices if desired.
Serving measurement: 1 bowl (avocado and pickles not included)
Energy: 283.Four Fats: 6.2g Carb: 21g Fiber: 2.1g Protein: 33g Sugar 15.5g Sodium: 1028.4mg