This broccoli noodle stir-fry makes use of all the head of broccoli – stems and florets! Simply spiralize the stems to create broccoli noodles and use them as a base for this gentle and wholesome meal.
As we’re nearing January 1, I wished to take time to replicate on my previous well being targets and set some new ones. I’ve been sticking with my 10K steps a day strolling problem (which I plan to proceed into 2019) and some different wholesome habits, however this 12 months I additionally wish to focus extra on sustainable dwelling and losing much less.
Once I’m not aware of it, it’s straightforward to be wasteful. It’s additionally straightforward to fall down the rabbit gap of sustainable dwelling which may be actually overwhelming. I’m so impressed by the individuals who stay uber eco-friendly lives — they don’t create any trash, they use reusable sandwich baggage (love my Stasher bags, however I purchase common plastic baggies too) and so they don’t use paper towels. It’s inspiring, but when I’m being sensible, it’s not one thing I can decide to 100% proper now. I wish to take it one step at a time and be extra conscious little by little so ultimately perhaps I may be that person who doesn’t use paper towels. My mother-in-law has already moved on this route and I’m hoping she will be able to train me a factor or two.
My start line? Meals.
Is it not the worst feeling when it’s important to throw out unused elements or uneaten leftovers? One thing inside me cries each time I waste meals. So in 2019 I’m committing to losing much less meals. A method I’m doing this: meal planning, meal prepping and extra root to stem cooking! The entire thought behind root to stem cooking is losing much less and discovering makes use of for the entire vegetable — all the things from broccoli stems, kale and collard inexperienced stems, beets greens and carrot tops!
Right now we’re specializing in broccoli stems and how one can flip them into noodles utilizing a spiralizer. Subsequent time you purchase broccoli and chop off the florets, promise me you’ll save the stems. This recipe is a superb start line.
For this stir-fry, the broccoli stems are changed into noodles utilizing a spirlaizer and so they make a terrific base for the recipe. The remaining elements are actually easy — simply peppers, garlic, ginger and teriyaki sauce. You can also make your personal utilizing my straightforward teriyaki recipe or use store-bought teriyaki. For store-bought I all the time purchase the San-J gluten-free teriyaki.
I like that you simply use all the head of broccoli and that the noodles cook dinner up in a flash (approach faster than rice!) and immediately make a veggie-packed, low calorie meal. General, that is an superior wholesome stir-fry recipe to kick off the New Yr. I do know it’s going to be within the common rotation in our house and I hope you’ll really feel the identical approach after attempting it.
For those who make this broccoli noodle stir-fry, you’ll want to let me know the way it seems by leaving a remark and star score beneath. Your suggestions is so useful for me and different EBF readers!
This broccoli noodle stir-fry makes use of all the head of broccoli – stems and florets! Simply spiralize the stalks to create broccoli noodles and use them as a base for this low-calorie meal.
- 1 lb uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons avocado, coconut or olive oil
- 2 medium stalks of broccoli (search for thick, massive stalks)
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced contemporary ginger
- Four-5 Tablespoons teriyaki sauce (store-bought or use the recipe beneath)
- Optionally available: sriracha, for topping
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄Four cup low-sodium tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1⁄2 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon contemporary ginger, grated or minced
- Make teriyaki sauce: whisk collectively all elements in a small bowl. Measure out Four-5 tablespoons, put aside.
- Make broccoli stem noodles: chop florets from the stems leaving as a lot stalk as potential. Place stalk/stem(s) on spiralizer and spiralize into noodles. Put aside.
- Add shrimp to massive skillet or wok over medium-high warmth. Sauté shrimp for Four-5 minutes or till pink and now not translucent. Switch to a plate and put aside.
- Discard any leftover liquid within the skillet. Add 2 teaspoons oil to skillet over medium-high warmth. Add bell pepper, garlic, ginger and broccoli noodles to the skillet. Sauté for 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper whereas cooking. Add broccoli florets to the pan and cook dinner for an additional Four-5 minutes, till broccoli begins to melt and turns vivid inexperienced.
- Add shrimp again into the pan, together with the teriyaki sauce and toss to coat. Prime with sriracha earlier than serving, if utilizing.
- Serving Dimension: 1/2 of recipe
- Energy: 335
- Sugar: 14g
- Fats: 4g
- Saturated Fats: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 41g
- Ldl cholesterol: 330mg
Key phrases: broccoli noodles, broccoli noodle stir-fry
What are your well being targets for 2019? Are any of them associated to sustainability?