Every so often I wish to take a few of my favourite “conventional” dishes and flip them the wrong way up. For example, I like enchiladas verdes however generally I’m not within the temper to fill and roll a bunch of tortillas. So then I flip these enchiladas into an outrageous lasagna-type casserole. This Butternut Squash Plantain Lasagna with Chipotle Cream is layered with corn tortillas, slices of butternut squash, plantains, and a smoky chipotle cream filling. It’s utterly unconventional, however it’s really considered one of our all-time favourite vegetarian fall dishes!
First although, let’s discuss concerning the plantain. I like to consider it because the cousin to the common banana. Similar to the banana, if it’s inexperienced, it’s unripe and if it’s yellow/brown, it’s ripe. However the distinction is within the style and texture. Inexperienced plantains have a starchy, potato-like high quality, which makes them the proper ingredient to absorb all of the spicy and tangy taste on this dish.
How one can Peel a Plantain
Plantain peels are a bit harder than bananas, so observe this spoon method to peel.
- Minimize off each ends of the plantain.
- Take a pointy knife and make a small incision down reverse sides of the plantain. (2 cuts whole)
- Then, seize a spoon and switch it hump facet up and use it to get beneath the peel as you’re employed your means down. The peel ought to simply loosen up.
Subsequent, you’ll have to peel your butternut squash. Take a look at this tutorial for a fast and simple technique. As soon as your plantain and squash are peeled and minimize, it’s time to work on the chipotle cream. To start, merely sauté chopped onion with olive oil and spices. Then, mix the onion with Greek yogurt, cream cheese, and chipotle peppers.
Now that the veggies are chopped and the chipotle cream is ready, let the layering start! First, you’ll pour a base of salsa verde on the underside of the dish. From there, layer the corn tortillas, chipotle cream, plantains, and butternut squash and repeat. For the final layer, high the squash with a remaining unfold of corn tortillas and an enormous splash of salsa verde.
The lasagna will bake within the oven, lined, for an hour till the squash is tender and your own home smells wonderful. A remaining sprinkling of shredded jack cheese will take this dish to the following stage because it creates a gooey melted tacky blanket on high.
The candy butternut squash is tender and it compliments the hearty slices of plantain completely. The chipotle cream blends into the tortillas and offers the dish a significant dose of spicy taste. The salsa verde brings all of it collectively into probably the most flavorful vegetarian casserole. It’s a wholesome and comfy dish that’s excellent for a calming weekend dinner. Or spend Sunday making this dish and meal prepping for the week. It’s a type of dishes the place leftovers are simply as unbelievable as the unique meal!
Butternut Squash Plantain Lasagna with Chipotle Cream
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 giant butternut squash
- 1 inexperienced plantain
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, finely chopped
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 jars (16 ounces every) salsa verde
- 9 small corn tortillas
- 6-Eight ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Cilantro, roughly chopped
- Prep the veggies: Preheat oven to 400 levels. Peel the butternut squash. Then, chop off the longer portion of the squash. Save the spherical portion (the one with the seeds) for one more recipe. Minimize the lengthy portion of the squash into slabs, slicing the items as skinny as you’ll be able to. Subsequent, peel the plantain and slice it into very skinny cash. Set the veggies apart.
- Make the chipotle cream: In a sauté pan, warmth 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium-high warmth. Add the onions, cumin, chili powder, and salt to the pan. Sauté the onions for about three minutes till translucent. Take away from warmth. In a medium bowl, add the onions, chipotle peppers, cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and lime juice, and stir to completely mix.
- Layer the lasagna: Spray a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Layer the underside of the dish with a splash salsa verde. Layer three corn tortillas excessive of the salsa. Utilizing a spoon, drop half of the chipotle cream combination in dollops over the tortillas. Then, layer half of the plantain cash evenly over the tortillas and chipotle cream. Subsequent, layer half of the butternut squash items over the plantains. Repeat the layering course of with the salsa, corn tortillas, chipotle cream, plantains, and butternut squash. Then, add a remaining layer of three tortillas on high and pour remaining salsa excessive.
- Bake: Cowl the lasagna with tin foil and bake within the oven for 1 hour. Take out of the oven and sprinkle the cheese excessive. Put again within the oven and bake uncovered for 10 extra minutes till the cheese is melted and bubbly. Minimize into 6 items and serve with a sprinkling of recent cilantro.