Enjoyable truth #1: I labored at Panera Bread the summer season after my freshmen yr of school. The perk: There have been at all times leftover treats to take house. The very best a part of the perk: Typically these leftover treats have been scones.
I had by no means even tried a scone earlier than working at Panera. Dry, flaky biscuit? No thanks. However one chunk of the cinnamon chip scone was all I wanted to be satisfied that scones are among the finest pastries on the planet. It’s a biscuit, piece of cake, thick cookie, and muffin all rolled into one divine pastry. You may’t go improper!
Since my Panera days, I’ve realized to like all of the scones, even the savory ones! The flavour potentialities are countless, which is why I made a decision to include my love for carrot cake into this recipe. Enjoyable Reality #2: I used to be so near serving carrot cake at my wedding ceremony reception. I used to be useless set on it after devouring the pattern on the cake tasting. However as scrumptious because it was, my husband shot down my grand plan deeming it slightly unconventional for a summer season wedding ceremony. Touché. The purple velvet and bailey’s Irish cream flavors gained out. Significantly although, I’ll take carrot cake over chocolate cake any day. Why? As a result of it’s a cinnamon-spiced, delightfully moist and fluffy cake topped with CREAM CHEESE frosting!!
And there’s loads of cream cheese frosting available on these Carrot Cake Scones. I suppose it’s extra like a glaze. Both means, you get that candy, tangy taste in each chunk. One other perk to those scones is that they’re lightened up. I used a fraction of the butter that you simply’d use in conventional recipes, and I used Greek yogurt as an alternative of heavy cream or buttermilk. The result’s a lightweight, cake-y scone that’s not overly candy, which is okay since you’ll end every little thing off with a liberal drizzle of cream cheese glaze. Professional tip: make further glaze and use it as a dipping sauce for the scones!
Eat these Carrot Cake Scones for a fast breakfast (reduce them in half and smear on wholesome spoonful of almond butter. so good!), noon snack, dessert, or make them to your Easter Sunday feast!
Carrot Cake Scones
Serves: 12 scones
- 1 cup white entire wheat flour
- 1 cup all function flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- four tablespoons chilly butter, reduce into small cubes
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt (I used nonfat)
- ¼ cup milk (I used unsweetened Almond Breeze)
- 1 egg
- 2 giant carrots, shredded
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Glaze
- ⅓ cup gentle cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- three tablespoons of milk (I used unsweetened Almond Breeze)
- Make the dough: Preheat the oven 350 levels. Mix the dry components in a big bowl. Utilizing a pastry blender or 2 butter knives, reduce within the chilly butter chunks till the combination is crumbly. In one other bowl, mix the moist components. Pour the moist components into the dry components and stir till simply mixed.
- Form the dough and bake: Place the dough on a floured floor. Knead just a few instances. Place the dough onto a big lined baking sheet or pizza stone and type it into a big flat circle about 10 inches vast and 1 inch excessive. Utilizing a knife or pizza cutter, gently reduce the dough into 12 equal slices, being cautious to not reduce right through. Bake for 23-25 minutes.
- Make the frosting: Whereas scones are baking, put together the cream cheese frosting. Add the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and milk to a blender or meals processor. Mix till the combination reaches a easy consistency. Reduce the spherical into 12 items. Drizzle the frosting over the scones.