If I had the forethought to plan out my meals every week, enchiladas would most undoubtedly be on the menu each time. With numerous methods to fill them (hiya meat, veggies, eggs, and/or cheese) and the completely different sauce choices to select from, I’d have loads of taste mixtures to make tons of of various enchilada varieties. Most lately, I’ve even found alternative ways to swap out the normal flour or corn tortilla for decrease carb or extra nutrient-rich choices like thinly sliced zucchini and collard greens. I’ve bought these swaps in my again pocket for potential future recipes. At present we’re concentrating on probably the most genius tortilla swap discovery: the egg tortilla!
On a latest episode of The Chew, Carla Corridor made a recipe for breakfast lasagna, however as an alternative of utilizing conventional lasagna noodles, she changed them with sheets of baked egg. This bought me enthusiastic about the thought of utilizing the identical baking sheet idea to make egg tortillas. The “tortillas” would find yourself being barely smaller than common and rectangular-shaped slightly than spherical, but when the egg tastes the identical regardless, no massive deal, proper?
It actually got here all the way down to a “Would you slightly…” sort scenario. Would you slightly stand over a range, individually cooking and flipping eight+ spherical egg tortillas? Or, would you slightly pour the eggs onto a pair baking sheets and get not less than 6 tortillas completed at one time? Choice #2 appeared to take advantage of sense, and the outcomes turned out splendidly!
Ideas for making egg tortillas
- Generously grease the baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Pour about 1 1/four cup of egg combination onto every sheet.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes till the eggs are set within the center and beginning to brown barely on the sides
- Let the egg sheets cool for a pair minutes earlier than slicing them into three rectangles.
- Use a skinny spatula to softly raise the egg from the baking sheets. Don’t fear about tears within the egg. The tortillas are lengthy sufficient to strengthen any breaks within the egg when rolling up the filling.
For the filling, I added some peppers, onions, black beans, and breakfast sausage to a skillet and sautéed till every thing was cooked by and softened. Be at liberty to combine issues up and use your favourite meat and veggies within the filling! For an additional creamy end, add a dollop of bitter cream or Greek yogurt to convey every thing collectively.
For the enchilada sauce, I did one thing a little bit out of the atypical. In a meals processor, I mixed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for some smoky taste with a jar of normal restaurant type salsa. To that, I added a few half cup of water to the sauce, which helped to even out the concentrated taste and create the right saucy texture. Another choice? Use store-bought enchilada sauce! Slather these enchiladas within the sauce, high with cheese, and pop them within the oven till the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Select your favourite toppings like bitter cream, avocado slices, or cilantro, after which dig in! It’s breakfast enchiladas to the intense with probably the most distinctive low carb egg tortilla! With Cinco de Mayo tomorrow and Mom’s Day brunch on the horizon, there are many causes so as to add this to your menu! Or in case you’re an enchilada fan like me, no vacation wanted. They’re nice any time of the 12 months or day they usually make actually good leftovers. All week my husband has chosen these Egg Tortilla Enchiladas over Asian rooster slaw for his work lunch, which solely means I’ll be making one other batch so I can take pleasure in them subsequent week!
Egg Tortilla Enchiladas
Serves: 9 enchiladas
- 15 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup black beans
- ½ crimson bell pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- ½ cup bitter cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 jar (16 ounces) restaurant type salsa
- three chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Bitter cream
- Avocado slices
- Contemporary Cilantro
- Make the egg tortillas: Preheat the oven to 400 levels. Grease three baking sheets with cooking spray.* Whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper collectively. Pour equal parts of the egg combination onto the baking sheets. Bake for 6-7 minutes till the eggs are set. Let the eggs cool barely on the tray.
- Make the enchilada sauce: Whereas the eggs are baking, add the salsa, chipotle peppers, and water to a blender or meals processor. Course of till clean. Put aside.
- Make the filling: Add the onion and turkey sausage to a big pan over medium warmth and saute till the sausage is cooked by. Add within the spices, garlic, black beans, and peppers. Cook dinner for a pair extra minutes. Then, stir within the bitter cream or Greek yogurt.
- Assemble: Grease a 9 x 12 casserole dish with cooking spray. Layer about ⅔ cup sauce on the underside of the casserole dish. Slice the egg sheets into thirds to create 9 egg tortillas. Place equal parts of filling into the middle of every egg tortilla. Roll up like an enchilada and place into the ready casserole dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling. Pour the enchilada sauce excessive and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake: Bake for about 15 minutes till the cheese has melted. Prime with further bitter cream, avocado slices, and cilantro.
* It’s possible you’ll must repeat this step a couple of times relying on the variety of baking sheets and oven area you’ve.