Right here’s the right way to prepare dinner spaghetti squash if you’d like lengthy pasta-like strands and spaghetti squash that isn’t watery! Simply reduce the squash widthwise, into rings and roast it.
As I plan content material for the yr forward, I really need Consuming Chicken Meals to be a useful resource for you! Questioning the right way to put together a sure ingredient? Have questions on why sure meals are thought-about wholesome and others aren’t? Need to be taught extra about meal prepping? I need to be your go-to woman for all issues wholesome consuming.
So in mild of that, let’s discuss all about spaghetti squash! You’ve most likely seen it on the grocery retailer or pinned recipes with spaghetti squash on Pinterest, however have you ever ever made it? If not, get excited as a result of I’m diving into all of the nitty gritty particulars for you!
WATCH HOW TO COOK SPAGHETTI SQUASH:
What’s spaghetti squash?
Let’s again wayyy up… what the heck is spaghetti squash? It’s a yellow, oval formed squash that’s in season within the fall and winter months. When cooked, you possibly can shred the insides into lengthy, noodle-like strands. Therefore the title: spaghetti squash. The feel is a tiny bit extra fibrous than pasta, however makes an important substitute for normal spaghetti noodles.
What does spaghetti squash style like?
Don’t hate me for this reply, however it doesn’t actually have a ton of taste. Though, I do assume it has just a little little bit of sweetness to it. It’s superb as a sub for pasta as a result of it lets no matter sauce you’re utilizing shine. You may get loopy together with your sauce flavorings and know that the spaghetti squash will actually be a base and never impart an excessive amount of taste.
How do you chop spaghetti squash?
Very first thing first, earlier than you even get to the cooking half, you must reduce it. I’ll be trustworthy and say I don’t love slicing spaghetti squash, however it’s a lot simpler when you have a big, sharp knife. We now have a Shun chef’s knife and I just lately received this knife from Material that I like as effectively. Another choice is to poke a pair small holes within the squash utilizing a fork after which microwave your complete squash for about 5 minutes to melt the squash a bit and make the method just a little simpler. Go sluggish and be additional cautious!
In relation to which method to reduce spaghetti squash there are two most important methods — widthwise and lengthwise. I used to chop my squash lengthwise on a regular basis till I spotted that the squash’s strands run horizontally in circles across the inside the squash and in the event you reduce it widthwise into rings you get longer spaghetti strands. And the rings assist scale back moisture as effectively so the spaghetti squash isn’t watery after it’s carried out roasting.
In fact, there are specific spaghetti squash recipes (like these lasagna bowls and these tuna noodle casserole bowls) that require slicing spaghetti squash lengthwise, however I desire slicing it widthwise if I’m not making spaghetti squash bowls!
After slicing, spaghetti squash is absolutely easy to prepare dinner! There are a couple of totally different strategies you should utilize.
The way to prepare dinner spaghetti squash
- Entire: Preheat your oven to 375°F levels. Use a knife to prick a couple of holes within the squash. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes (flipping half approach via). You’ll know the squash is completed when it feels tender when pierced with a knife. Let squash cool earlier than slicing it open, scooping out seeds and separating the strands.
- Minimize widthwise: Preheat your oven to 400°F. Slice ends off the squash, then reduce widthwise into halves or rings. Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds. (I like utilizing a grapefruit spoon for this.) Place squash on rimmed baking sheet. Use arms to coat every bit with just a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes. Enable to chill for about 15 minutes, then peel the pores and skin away and separate the strands into lengthy “spaghetti noodles”.
- Minimize lengthwise: Preheat your oven to 400°F. Slice your spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Flip your halves over so the reduce aspect is on a baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes. You understand your squash is completed when you possibly can press within the pores and skin pretty simply. Take away from the oven and let cool for about 15 minutes after which use a fork to scrape out/shred the interior half, making “spaghetti noodles”.
Slice your spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise or widthwise. Scoop out the seeds and place the reduce aspect down in a microwave-safe dish. Fill the dish with about 1 inch of water. Microwave on excessive for 10-12 minutes or till you possibly can press into the pores and skin pretty simply. Take away and let cool for about 15 minutes after which use a fork to scrape out/shred the interior half, making “spaghetti noodles”.
three. Immediate Pot
Slice your spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise or widthwise. Scoop out the seeds. Place the steamer basket within the backside of the Immediate Pot and add 1 cup of water. Place the squash halves on high of the basket and safe the lid. Be certain that the vent is turned to “sealed” and set the strain cooker to 7 minutes on excessive strain. Use the fast launch when completed. Take away and let cool for about 15 minutes after which use a fork to scrape out/shred the interior half, making “spaghetti noodles”.
The way to freeze spaghetti squash:
Let the cooked squash cool utterly earlier than transferring the noodles to freezer-safe luggage. To forestall the squash from freezer burn, you’ll need to squeeze as a lot air as doable out of the baggage. The squash ought to hold for as much as 7-Eight months within the freezer. If you’re prepared to make use of your squash you possibly can switch from the freezer to the fridge to thaw till you’re able to reheat, however in the event you don’t have time to thaw the squash, that’s okay — frozen spaghetti squash might be reheated rapidly within the microwave, a steamer basket and even sautéed on the stovetop.
Is spaghetti squash wholesome?
Spaghetti squash is low in energy, containing solely 42 energy in a single cup cooked. It additionally accommodates a small quantity of carbohydrates, 10 grams, and a great quantity of fiber, 2.2 grams or 9 % of your every day wants. When substituting spaghetti squash for pasta it can save you about 170 energy and 30 grams of carbs in a one cup serving!
I like utilizing spaghetti squash in so many recipes. It’s an important spaghetti substitute once you’re on the lookout for a grain-free choice, however I additionally love batch cooking spaghetti squash to have available for weekly salads and bowls.
Are you able to deal with spaghetti squash? Do you could have some other spaghetti squash questions I can reply? If not, let’s get cooking! See under for my go-to recipe.
- 1 massive spaghetti squash
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Slice ends off the squash, then reduce widthwise into halves or rings. For those who reduce the squash into rings, attempt to make the rings about the identical measurement, round 1-1/2 inches.
- Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds. (I like utilizing a grapefruit spoon for this.)
- Place squash on rimmed baking sheet. Use arms to coat every ring with just a little olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, flipping rings as soon as about 15 minutes in.
- Enable to chill for about 15 minutes, then peel the pores and skin away and separate the strands into lengthy spaghetti noodles utilizing a fork.
- Serving Dimension: 2 cups
- Energy: 114
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 56mg
- Fats: 4g
- Saturated Fats: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 2g
- Ldl cholesterol: 0mg
Key phrases: roasted spaghetti squash, spaghetti squash, the right way to prepare dinner spaghetti squash
Prepared to make use of your spaghetti squash? Try a few of my favourite spaghetti squash recipes and get cooking!