Saturated fat has been recognized for many years as being a “dangerous” or “unhealthy” sort of fat. Nevertheless, the reality is saturated with complexity.
For instance, particular sorts of saturated fat and totally different meals wealthy in these fat can fluctuate in how they have an effect on our well being. These fat can even impression every of us in a different way relying on our genetic vulnerabilities.
For most individuals, nonetheless, this “dangerous” fat truly has a impartial or optimistic impact on well being, notably when consumed as part of a carb restricted weight loss program.
So, what does this imply for you and your low-carb weight loss program? Let’s check out saturated fat from the next perspective to seek out out:
What’s Saturated fat? The Dietary Definition
Saturated fat is a kind of fat discovered within the highest portions in meat, high-fat dairy merchandise, and a few tropical crops. In distinction, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat, that are generally often called the “wholesome” fat, are usually the predominant fat present in nuts, seeds, olive oil, vegetable oils, and different plant meals/oil.
Moreover, fat which are largely saturated (like butter, tallow, and coconut oil) are usually stable at room temperature, whereas fat which are largely unsaturated (like olive oil) are liquid at room temperature.
Fashionable examples of meals wealthy in saturated fat are fatty cuts of beef and lamb, butter, heavy cream, cheese, coconut oil, and darkish chocolate. Many of those meals carry a stigma just because they’re the highest sources of saturated fat in our diets.
Though the consensus round these fat appears to be shifting, many nonetheless imagine that meals excessive in saturated fat are dangerous for our well being. As you’ll study all through this text, that is an oversimplification of the science that fosters the expansion of this “dangerous” fat delusion.
The reality is that saturated fat-rich meals can improve well being when consumed as part of a nutritious diet, reminiscent of a well-formulated low-carb weight loss program or keto weight loss program.
Context is essential with all pure fat we eat. Even fat which are generally topped as being “wholesome” could be dangerous.
To assist us develop a greater understanding of saturated fat, we should “trim the fat” from these stigmatized fatty acids.
What’s Saturated fat? The Technical Definition
Unearthing the truth of those fat requires us to begin with an goal basis. From a biochemical perspective, saturated fat get their title from the truth that their fatty acids encompass single-bonded carbon molecules which are solely “saturated” with hydrogen atoms.
In distinction, all unsaturated fat have no less than one double bond, making them “unsaturated” with hydrogen atoms. Because of this monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fat each have no less than one double bond.
The variety of double bonds (or lack thereof) within the fatty acid considerably modifications how the physique processes it and what impact it has on well being. The size of the fatty acid chain performs a vital position as nicely.
Totally different saturated fatty acids are named and categorized primarily based on the variety of carbons molecules they’ve. Their size largely determines what impression they’ve all through the physique.
For instance, capric acid (generally present in coconut oil, palm oil, and breast milk) has 10 single-bonded carbon atoms, and palmitic acid (additionally present in coconut oil and palm oil) has 16 single-bonded carbon atoms.
They observe utterly totally different digestive and metabolic pathways within the physique, leading to totally different results on our well being. Many of those results are useful, whereas some could be adverse.
Total, the class of saturated fat, in itself, is full of a lot nuance that it’s deceptive to label all saturated fat as being “dangerous.”
To assist us simplify a few of these complexities, let’s check out the assorted ways in which saturated fatty acids are present in our meals.
The Three Classes of Saturated Fatty Acids
Earlier than we breakdown the classes of those fat, it’s essential that we clear up some semantics.
Each saturated and unsaturated fat usually exist within the type of triglycerides. A triglyceride is a molecule consisting of three fatty acids connected to a glycerol spine.
For example, medium chain triglyceride oil, generally often called MCT oil, predominantly consists of triglycerides with three medium-chain saturated fatty acids.
Normally, the phrases “fatty acids” and “fat” are used interchangeably as a result of the fatty acids are accountable for the properties and well being results of the triglycerides we eat.
With this idea of thoughts, let’s add some extra shade to saturated fat. Listed here are the three classes of saturated fatty acids:
- Quick chain fatty acids (SCFAs) — These saturated fatty acids solely include 2-5 carbon atoms. They’re produced when the pleasant intestine micro organism ferment fiber in your colon and are the first supply of power for the cells lining your colon. You can too get them in small portions from butter within the type of a short-chain triglyceride often called butyrate.
- Medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs) — Usually often called medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), MCFAs encompass 6-12 carbon atoms. They’re comparatively small in comparison with many of the fat we eat. This permits most of them to be digested on to the liver, the place they supply the molecules wanted to extend ketone manufacturing.
- Lengthy chain fatty acids (LCFAs) — Most of our fat consumption comes from LCFAs, which have 13 or extra carbons. All monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fat fall into this class as nicely, however we’ll give attention to long-chain saturated fatty acids all through this text.
Examples of Saturated Fat from Every Class
The commonest saturated fat within the human weight loss program are long-chain fatty acids, notably myristic acid, stearic acid, and palmitic acid. Medium-chain and short-chain fatty acids usually signify a a lot smaller portion of our saturated fat consumption. Let’s check out frequent examples of every one:
Lengthy-chain Saturated Fatty Acid Examples
- Myristic acid — A saturated 14-carbon fatty acid occurring in most animal and vegetable fat, notably butterfat and coconut, palm, and nutmeg oils.
- Stearic acid — The primary dietary supply of this 18-carbon fatty acid is animal fat. You can too discover it in palm and coconut oil.
- Palmitic acid — This 16-carbon fatty acid makes up the vast majority of the overall fat in meat and dairy merchandise. It’s also the most typical saturated fatty acid discovered within the human physique.
Medium-chain Fatty Acid Examples
- Lauric acid — This 12 carbon fatty acid makes up roughly 47% of palm kernel oil and 42% of coconut oil, whereas different meals solely include a hint of it. Lauric acid shares many properties with the long-chain saturated fatty acids (i.e., by elevating HDL ldl cholesterol and following comparable digestive pathways), so they’re often thought-about as long-chain fat.
- Capric acid — Simply ten carbon atoms lengthy, this MCFA is sufficiently small to skip regular fat digestion and go straight to the liver the place it may be transformed into ketones. It makes up 10% of MCTs in coconut oil.
- Caprylic acid — With two fewer carbons than capric acid, caprylic acid could be transformed into ketones extra shortly and effectively. It makes up 12% of the MCTs present in coconut oil.
Quick-chain Fatty Acid Examples
- Acetic acid — With simply two carbons, this fatty acid is often created as a by-product of fiber fermentation within the intestine and included into different fat and ldl cholesterol.
- Propionic acid — A 3-carbon fatty acid that can be the results of fiber fermentation within the intestine, nevertheless it usually enters the liver to be transformed into glucose.
- Butyric acid — This four-carbon fatty acid makes up a small proportion of the fatty acids in butter and different animal fat. It’s also produced within the intestine and confers varied well being advantages all through the physique.
Altogether, the long-chain saturated fatty acids signify the vast majority of the energy we get from saturated fat. On this class alone, there are fatty acids which have the potential to extend levels of cholesterol, lower levels of cholesterol, or preserve them the identical.
This potential to boost levels of cholesterol, particularly LDL ldl cholesterol, is likely one of the foremost the explanation why saturated fat is often often called “dangerous.” Nevertheless, this results in a unnecessary phobia of fatty meals that may truly assist optimize ldl cholesterol.
To offer you a greater concept of what I imply, let’s check out coconut oil — one of many healthiest oils that additionally occurs to be one of many richest in saturated fat.
Coconut Oil — A Combination of Saturated Fat that Can Enhance Well being
Many well being professionals gasp after they see a meals merchandise with as a lot saturated fat as coconut oil. Since some saturated fat have been discovered to boost LDL ldl cholesterol (also called “dangerous” ldl cholesterol), they bounce to the conclusion that coconut oil will do the identical and enhance the danger of coronary heart illness. (As we’ll study within the subsequent part, this conclusion relies on defective assumptions.)
By holding on to those short-sighted beliefs, we find yourself avoiding on a number of the meals which will truly assist stop the very circumstances we’re advised they are going to trigger. The proper instance of that is coconut oil.
About 70% of coconut oil consists of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), largely lauric acid.
This fatty acid, specifically, has been discovered to cut back the total-to-HDL ldl cholesterol ratio. These modifications are related to a decreased danger of coronary heart illness.
In truth, lauric acid seems to have extra useful results on HDL levels of cholesterol than another saturated fatty acid.
Moreover, high-quality information signifies that the MCTs present in coconut oil might also:
- Enhance resting power expenditure in comparison with long-chain fatty acids.
- Scale back urge for food in a means that results in important decreases in calorie consumption.
- Enhance physique composition when substituted for long-chain fat.
For those who’d wish to study extra concerning the analysis behind these findings, try our article on coconut oil.
This isn’t the one instance of a demonized meals that advantages well being. Different complete meals which are full of saturated fat, reminiscent of fatty meats, cheese, and butter, generally is a wholesome a part of our diets as nicely, particularly when following a ketogenic weight loss program or non-ketogenic low-carb weight loss program.
In truth, you’ll discover many of those meals on our listing of top 10 foods for the ketogenic diet. Thus, a extra correct depiction of saturated fat is that they’re solely “dangerous” or “unhealthy” beneath particular contexts.
Is Saturated fat “Dangerous”? The Fact Behind These Vilified Fat
Not like synthetic trans fat, which is a “dangerous” fat that’s undeniably unhealthy, saturated fat is just responsible by a poorly-founded affiliation (with coronary heart illness). Again within the 20th century, when coronary heart illness first grew to become the primary explanation for loss of life within the US, researchers put collectively the restricted information they’d on the time into what is called the diet-heart speculation.
This speculation said that if saturated fat raises ldl cholesterol and ldl cholesterol causes coronary heart illness, then this should imply that saturated fat causes coronary heart illness.
Though this was solely primarily based on observational information and animal research, it was used as the idea for the “heart-healthy” low-fat weight loss program that changed saturated fat and trans fat with unsaturated vegetable oils.
The present information, nonetheless, contradicts the viability of those suggestions. For instance, a 2016 evaluation and re-evaluation of the speculation concluded that:
Accessible proof from randomized managed trials reveals that alternative of saturated fat within the weight loss program with linoleic acid [an omega-6 fatty acid] successfully lowers serum ldl cholesterol however doesn’t assist the speculation that this interprets to a decrease danger of loss of life from coronary coronary heart illness or all causes.
Different meta-analyses of the present information have led to comparable conclusions. That is probably as a result of linoleic acid, in addition to different polyunsaturated fat, are rather more susceptible to oxidation than saturated fat. When these fat oxidize, they kind poisonous compounds that may enhance irritation and contribute to atherosclerotic plaque buildup.
Some analysis even signifies that changing saturated fat with vegetable oils which are excessive in omega-6s can enhance small, dense LDL particle ranges, that are considered essentially the most dangerous sort of LDL. Lengthy-chain saturated fatty acids, however, have been discovered to extend the dimensions of LDL particles, making them much less more likely to contribute to coronary heart illness.
Merely put, saturated fat isn’t objectively unhealthy. It was solely considered “dangerous” due to the restricted understanding we had of coronary heart illness within the 20th century.
Now, we now have overwhelming proof pointing to the truth that decreasing saturated fat consumption has no impact on the danger of coronary heart illness or loss of life. Together with that, some information counsel that changing saturated fat with refined carbs or processed oils can enhance heart problems danger and mortality danger.
That being stated, there are two situations when saturated fat could be “dangerous” or “unhealthy”:
- When a weight loss program is excessive in each saturated fat and refined carbohydrate. This weight loss program, which resembles the usual American weight loss program, may cause persistent low-grade irritation, promote insulin resistance, and enhance atherogenic levels of cholesterol. Altogether, this considerably will increase the danger of weight problems, sort 2 diabetes, and heart problems. One of the efficient methods to cut back your danger of those circumstances is by following a low-carb diet.
- When somebody notices their ldl cholesterol enhance to unhealthy ranges after they enhance their saturated fat consumption. This can usually solely occur in case you have a number of genetic variants that make you susceptible to having larger LDL. For a extra complete have a look at this subject, try our article on keto and cholesterol.
The overwhelming theme for saturated fat (and all different pure fat) is that context is essential. Genetic variants, meals/fat high quality, and carb consumption all play a task in how saturated fat have an effect on our well being.
For most individuals, saturated fat is protected and shouldn’t be averted in favor of vegetable oils (as is often advisable by low-fat proponents). In truth, every class of saturated fat has been discovered to be useful in a number of methods, notably when refined carbs and different processed meals are changed by the saturated-fat-rich meals which are generally consumed on keto.
The (Hardly ever Acknowledged) Advantages of Saturated fat
Regardless of the adverse stigma surrounding them, saturated fatty acids are essential for optimum well being. All three sorts — long-chain, medium-chain, and short-chain saturated fatty acids — can present us with important advantages, starting from enhancing coronary heart well being to serving to us burn and lose fat.
Let’s take a more in-depth have a look at a number of the most noteworthy advantages of every class of saturated fat. Under, you’ll discover a graphic summarizing the advantages of saturated fat. Maintain scrolling to see the plain textual content info:
Advantages of Lengthy-chain Saturated Fatty Acids
These fat signify the vast majority of the saturated fat most individuals eat of their diets. Though many of those long-chain fat have a nasty fame for growing LDL ldl cholesterol, they really play a vital position in enhancing total well being when consumed as part of a nutritious diet.
Listed here are a number of the science-backed advantages of long-chain saturated fatty acids:
- Optimize levels of cholesterol. For most individuals, saturated fat increase HDL (the “good”) ldl cholesterol and alter LDL from small, dense to Massive LDL, which is usually benign. The addition of saturated fat to the weight loss program additionally has been discovered to cut back the degrees of a substance referred to as lipoprotein (a) that’s extremely correlated with coronary heart illness danger. Altogether, these modifications signify a useful change in levels of cholesterol, favoring particles which are much less more likely to trigger plaque buildup in our arterial partitions.
- Present stability to cell membranes. Saturated fat are much less liable to oxidative injury than their unsaturated counterparts, which makes them a key element of cell membranes. Cell membranes that lack adequate saturated fatty acids are usually extra “leaky’ and susceptible to break.
- Nice for high-heat cooking. Fat that largely encompass saturated fat, like coconut oil, are nice for roasting, baking, sautéing, grilling, or frying. It’s because they solely have single-bonded carbons, which makes them extra immune to oxidation and injury attributable to high-heat cooking. In distinction, oils excessive in polyunsaturated fat are extremely vulnerable to oxidation, turning what was doubtlessly wholesome fat right into a poisonous compound.
The Distinctive Advantages of Medium-chain Saturated Fatty Acids
Here’s a temporary abstract of the advantages of medium-chain fatty acids, that are generally consumed as medium chain triglycerides or MCTs:
- Scale back urge for food. Research present that supplementing with MCTs can lower starvation ranges and calorie consumption at subsequent meals. This can assist curb cravings and make fat loss a lot simpler.
- Assist with keto-induction. MCTs are straight transformed to ketones no matter how keto-adapted you’re. This can assist first-time keto dieters enter ketosis rather more shortly whereas decreasing keto flu symptoms.
- Enhance levels of cholesterol. Medical trials have found that MCTs can assist decrease LDL/HDL ratio, scale back complete and HDL-cholesterol, enhance HDL, and reduce LDL. Lauric acid appears to be the MCT accountable for many of those modifications.
- Improve train efficiency and endurance. The present information means that MCTs have the potential to objectively and subjectively enhance efficiency.
- Enhance ketone and power ranges. MCTs (apart from many of the lauric acid we eat) go straight to the liver and stimulate ketogenesis. Because of this, our ketone ranges enhance, and our cells begin burning ketones, which is a way more environment friendly gas supply.
- Enhance mind well being and cognitive operate. Research have proven that MCTs can assist increase cognitive operate in people with delicate to average cognitive impairment. Individuals who produce other neurological circumstances, together with Parkinson’s disease, epilepsy, gliomas, and autism, might profit from MCTs as nicely.
- Could assist with blood sugar regulation. A number of research have discovered that MCTs can assist enhance insulin sensitivity (which is a vital part of diabetes prevention and therapy) in each diabetic sufferers and non-diabetic topics.
- Help the immune system. MCTs have been discovered to behave as a pure antiviral and antibiotic, serving to the physique defend towards a number of totally different infections.
Total, MCTs present a variety of advantages, and MCT oil is a good complement so as to add to any well being enchancment arsenal. For extra info on MCTs and their advantages, try our comprehensive guide to MCT oil.
The Distinctive Advantages of Quick-chain Fatty Acids
Don’t overlook concerning the little guys. Quick chain saturated fat play a task in optimizing our well being as nicely.
- Scale back levels of cholesterol. Acetic acid, propionic acid, and butyric acid have all been discovered to lower levels of cholesterol through totally different mechanisms. Extra analysis is required to find out the importance of those results.
- Stimulate mechanisms that defend towards weight acquire. Quick chain fatty acids have been discovered to activate a number of pathways that scale back fat storage and enhance fat burning. Nevertheless, scientific trials are wanted to evaluate the potential results of SCFAs on physique fat ranges.
- Enhance blood sugar regulation. Some proof means that butyrate can have optimistic results in each animals and people with sort 2 diabetes. The proposed mechanisms are comparable to people who can assist defend towards weight acquire.
- Shield towards a number of digestive circumstances and colon most cancers. Quick-chain fatty acids have been proven to guard towards colon most cancers in animal and lab research. Nevertheless, scientific trials are wanted. Butyric acid, specifically, might scale back diarrhea, assist deal with inflammatory bowel ailments, and scale back the severity of irritable syndrome as nicely.
Wholesome Sources of Saturated fat
As we did with the advantages of saturated fat, we’ll check out the healthiest sources of every sort primarily based on chain size as nicely.
Lengthy-Chain Saturated Fatty Acid Sources
Lengthy-chain saturated fatty acids are normally our major supply of saturated fat. They’re present in highest portions in animal fat and tropical oils.
For optimum well being, the vast majority of these fat ought to come from contemporary fatty meats and high-fat dairy fairly than pure animal or dairy fat.
Listed here are some examples of keto-friendly long-chain saturated fat meals sources:
- Fatty cuts of beef and lamb
- Fatty cuts of pork
- Darkish rooster meat and poultry pores and skin
- Fatty cuts of duck
- Excessive-fat dairy meals (cheese, heavy cream, and butter)
- Darkish chocolate (with minimal sugar, a keto-friendly sugar different, or no sweeteners in any respect)
- Uncooked coconut butter (carefully to restrict internet carb consumption)
When attainable, go for 100% grass-fed, pasture-raised beef, lamb, and dairy, in addition to pasture-raised poultry, eggs, and pork. They are going to include extra health-promoting fat and useful vitamins than the traditional varieties of those meals.
By consuming most of your saturated fat from these meals, you’ll not solely expertise a number of the advantages of saturated fat, however you’ll present your physique with important amino acids, minerals, nutritional vitamins, and different health-promoting compounds as nicely.
The pure fat derived from these meals may also be used so as to add some additional taste and fat to your weight loss program. This contains:
- Coconut oil
- Cocoa butter
- Butter or ghee
- Palm oil or pink palm oil (solely buy if sustainably-sourced in a means that doesn’t decimate the rainforest)
- Duck fat
- Hen fat
The fat larger in saturated fat and decrease in polyunsaturated fat are usually most secure at larger temperatures. Coconut oil, for instance, is highest in saturated fat and lowest in polyunsaturated fat on this listing, which makes it one of the vital secure cooking fat/oils.
Finest Sources of Medium-chain Fatty Acids (MCFAs)
Coconut oil is also the most effective supply of MCTs, particularly lauric acid. As we discovered earlier, lauric acid is the fat in coconuts that helps increase HDL levels of cholesterol.
Nevertheless, lauric acid is not going to offer you many of the different advantages related to the smaller MCFAs, capric and caprylic acid. Sadly, pure sources of MCFAs, reminiscent of coconut oil, cheese, and butter, solely include small quantities of capric and caprylic acid.
Thus, the most effective supply of those MCFAs is MCT oil or MCT oil powder with ~100% caprylic acid (C8) and capric acid (C10).
Take note, nonetheless, MCT dietary supplements are highly-concentrated and might trigger digestive points when consumed in giant doses too shortly. For correct dosing solutions and extra information on MCT oil and MCT powder, please learn by our MCT oil article.
Finest Sources of Quick-chain Fatty Acids (SCFAs)
The healthiest supply of butyrate is in your intestine. Extra particularly, the by-products of fiber fermentation within the colon is how we get our short-chain fatty acids in a means that promotes intestine well being and total well being.
That is a part of the explanation why it’s essential to eat low-carb vegetables in your keto weight loss program. Not solely are these greens full of vitamins, however they feed your intestine with the fiber it wants to provide SCFAs.
You can too discover essentially the most well-studied SCFA, butyric acid, in high-fat dairy merchandise. The perfect dietary supply is 100% grass-fed butter and ghee, however solely a small p.c of their fat are made up of this SCFA.
There are just a few short-chain triglyceride (SCT) dietary supplements in the marketplace as nicely, however the analysis on them is sparse and inconclusive.
Altogether, the healthiest supply of SCFAs could be from 100% grass-fed butter (or ghee) melted on high of your favourite low-carb vegetable dish or a slice of keto bread.
Wholesome Recipes Excessive in Saturated fat
The next recipes function most of the wholesome saturated fat sources talked about above.
Low Carb Breakfast Recipes Excessive in Saturated fat:
Low Carb Lunch Recipes Excessive in Saturated fat:
Low Carb Snack Recipes Excessive in Saturated fat:
Low Carb Dinner Recipes Excessive in Saturated fat:
Low Carb Sides which are Excessive in Saturated fat:
Low Carb Dessert Recipes Excessive in Saturated fat:
How A lot Saturated fat Ought to You Eat for Optimum Well being?
The final steering is to restrict saturated fat consumption, however as we discovered all through this text, this isn’t obligatory for most individuals. That is notably true once we observe a low-carb weight loss program.
Whereas on a high-fat, low-carb weight loss program, saturated and monounsaturated fat ought to signify the majority of energy you eat. For optimum well being, most of those fat ought to come from complete, minimally-processed meals like fatty meats, high-fat cheese, keto-friendly darkish chocolate, avocados, eggs, and high-MUFA nuts.
Pure animal fat, coconut oil, and MCT oil must be utilized in moderation together with additional virgin olive oil, avocado oil, and different high-MUFA oils to assist meet your fat wants. Any oils which are excessive in polyunsaturated fat — reminiscent of safflower oil, sunflower oil, soybean oil, cottonseed oil, and corn oil — are finest averted.
When making any important dietary change, be sure you are monitoring your well being. Though most individuals expertise unimaginable well being enhancements whereas following a low-carb weight loss program, a small subset of the inhabitants with particular genetic variants might not reply nicely to larger saturated fat intakes. These people might profit from the suggestions outlined within the “What if Keto is Making Your Ldl cholesterol Ranges Worse?”
- Facts about saturated fat — Medline Plus
- Palmitic Acid: Physiological Role, Metabolism and Nutritional Implications — NCBI
- The Importance of fat in a Ketogenic Diet — Ruled.me
- Is Coconut Oil Actually Good for You? — Ruled.me
- Association of Dietary, Circulating, and Supplement Fatty Acids With Coronary Risk: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis — Annals of Internal Medicine
- Reduced or modified dietary fat for preventing cardiovascular disease — Cochrane Library
- Saturated Fat: Good or Bad? — Healthline
- How Short-Chain Fatty Acids Affect Health and Weight — Healthline
- Fatty Acids and Triacylglycerols — University of Washington
- Gut-derived short-chain fatty acids are vividly assimilated into host carbohydrates and lipids. — NCBI
- Butyric Acid — PubChem
- Dietary saturated and trans fatty acids and lipoprotein metabolism. — NCBI
- Comparison of the effects of diets enriched in lauric, palmitic, or oleic acids on serum lipids and lipoproteins in healthy women and men. — NCBI
- Effects of dietary fatty acids and carbohydrates on the ratio of serum total to HDL cholesterol and on serum lipids and apolipoproteins: a meta-analysis of 60 controlled trials. — NCBI
- Cardiovascular disease risk of dietary stearic acid compared with trans, other saturated, and unsaturated fatty acids: a systematic review. — NCBI
- Re-evaluation of the traditional diet-heart hypothesis: analysis of recovered data from Minnesota Coronary Experiment (1968-73) — BMJ
- Effects of dietary fat on blood lipids: a review of direct comparison trials — BMJ
- Dietary fat and cardiometabolic health: evidence, controversies, and consensus for guidance — BMJ
- The role of short-chain fatty acids in the interplay between diet, gut microbiota, and host energy metabolism — NCBI
- Role of membranes in disease. — NCBI
- A palm oil-enriched diet lowers serum lipoprotein(a) in normocholesterolemic volunteers — Atherosclerosis
- Lipoprotein(a): Biology and Clinical Importance — NCBI
- MCT Oil: The Benefits, Risks, and How to Use — Ruled.me
- Evaluation of Chemical and Physical Changes in Different Commercial Oils during Heating — Acta Scientific Nutritional Health